Monday, May 31, 2010

Rag Fur Jacket

I finished another project on my list. I was going to wait until fall to make it, but had it started and decided to "just do it". Would you believe it has been on my "to do" list for at least 4 years.... probably more. lol So, while cutting this fabric I checked, checked and checked again before cutting into it. If I made a mistake, I wouldn't be able to find this fabric again. I had bought it way back when also. This pattern is by Ami Simms and you can find the pattern on her sight when you click on her name I have highlighted;-) And see lots of other Rag Fur Jackets. Now, what did I learn from doing this project? I would have loved having Ami right beside me so she could have guided me through some of the directions I had trouble comprehending. Not that the pattern was difficult. She has lots of just takes ME time to figure out even easy things. The next thing I learned, was that if you use a fine point marker, have something under your fabric that you are marking. I won't go into what happened. lol What I hated was putting the cuffs on. There has got to be an easier way. I love it now that it is done. And I love the way it feels to complete yet another project on my list. I got my granddaughter, Raven, to model my jacket. Her hair even goes with the jacket, but the jacket is MINE!

Have a Great One!

Friday, May 7, 2010

Comfort/Friendship shawl

Have you ever looked at a pattern and said, "I'll never be able to make that."? "That looks to hard." We'll, I have said that so many times, but that doesn't make me not try it. The lesson I learned with this project was to take "baby steps". I hadn't really crocheted in sometime, so making dishcloths got me "practicing" crocheting again. Then I sat down and practiced starting this project with yarn I wasn't using for this project. It took me MANY times of starting over before I finally got it. I started the project and all went well, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do the edging. It looked just to complicated. But taking "baby steps" I was able to figure it out..... easy peasie. LOL What a wonderfer feeling to have finished it. I used the pattern from "The Prayer Shawl Ministry" from Leisure Arts. And used Homespun Nouveau by Lion Brand Yarn. I have a practice piece, I've done, for a Snapdragon pattern I want to do next. Another pattern that looked just too hard..... it's not.
But.... it is on my "to do list" that is pretty long. We shall see......